Tuesday, May 2, 2017



Yak Spearfishing- a very steep learning curve

Thanks firstly for the edits Pants

Well its been about a year since I started  but Saturday was the day that I finally saw and nailed a decent Kingfish on the spear. Other than seeing a few rats in my previous trips I had never seen any decent kingies and certainly not seen any in a big school.

After 3 months of poor visibility I was hopeful that Saturday was the day to dive. It had been following 3 days of solid southerlies so I thought the odds of clear water was probable. So I packed my spearfishing and fishing gear just in case the water wasn’t clear and headed out.

First stop was the wall.Visibility was like excellent at 25m but the northerly current was strong so I decided to come in closer. I tried the point for about ½ hour without seeing anything  then headed south along the bomby line.

On the way I managed to shoot a small mowy.

Then out of nowhere in the shallows  to my left appeared a massive school of “metreish” kingfish who appeared to be attracted to my flasher. I was startled to see them and they were too.

They were moving fast and I wasn’t going to miss this opportunity.  

I also wasn’t going to try and cherry pick the biggest in the school so I simply picked the closest fish aimed my riffe euro and fired.

Thankfully it connected with the kingy trying its darnest to get to the bottom I grabbed the line and released the gun and reasonably calmly came to the surface. This action however whipped up a frenzy to the other kingies who thought they were in for a free feed.

I climb on board with the line in  hand 

There was no way I was going to handle the fish at the surface nor was I going to chance the opportunity to lose the fish by removing the spear.

So I threw it in the hatch with spear attached and cut the line from the stomach area . 

The shot wasn’t by any means perfect  hopefully I will hit it closer to the middle and closer to the gills. 


Frickin stoked went 95cm





No comments:

Post a Comment