Sunday, June 25, 2017

Another hoodlum for "The Chef"

Yellowtail Kingfish... 1.200m in length.
Live yakka did the damage. 
Great effort once again Steve !

The full story

It had been an uneventful morning.

I'd dragged baits around for a couple of hours with no sign of kingfish.

I'd had enough and was paddling in when my livie got smashed in shallow water. I knew straight away that this was a serious fish but there was'nt much i could do in that depth to stop it getting me on the reef as it towed me towards the swell zone . I eased off the drag and was eventually able to angle it out and pull it into deeper water.

I was'nt sure of the extent of the damage to the leader so it was a nervous fight but 15 minutes or so later and a half a k away from where i got hit, i got the fish up.

Then my gaff shot bounces off. I drop the gaff in the water (luckily it floats) and the fish goes apeshit and lunges back under the right side of the ski, while my rod in my left hand gets pulled across my body with incredible force and i almost lose that too. Probably luck to not go for a swim.

I didnt miss with the second gaff shot.

118cm ?? and a new PB (Steve I reckon if that was square on the mate it 1.20)

Photo taken by an old lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment